Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What?

I want to say that I am really excited about next weeks novel because this one made no sense to me. Going back to last week's discussion, I would like to talk about the credibility of this book. How many students reading this book are going to relate to this story? Chances are not many at all. To have a transvestite in a high school is one thing, for it to be the starting quarterback/captain is another. I like how the author tries to shatter the stereotype, but how many of these students reading the book, will take it seriously?

But maybe, the authors intent was to make everything, outside of Paul and Noah's relationship, seem unrealistic. If everyone and everything outside of this relationship seems silly and fake maybe people will realize how real this relationship could be. I don't know, I couldn't find a clear message to present. I apologize for this lack-luster blog but this is the best I can do.

To relate this book to something in the students life I decided to talk about the MTV show: The Real World. This was the first time I "saw" a homosexual. It seems that every show they have has a male or female who is attracted to the same sex. The show is outlandish and crazy but it is a way for teenagers to view how different people can be.

On a side note, I did try out for the Real World in 2006. That was a fun experience.

4 comments:

  1. Josh, I have to completely disagree with you on your first point. I think you would find yourself QUITE surprised to see how many students CAN relate to the characters in this book!!! Although it is obviously set in a utopian society, each of Levithan's characters are reminiscient of exactly what students are today.... the only thing is, because they are not privileged enough to live in such a society, they are forced to present a different exterior, despite who they may be inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you! I think that it is difficult for students to relate because they don't have Harley-riding cheerleaders, or a quarterback/Homecoming Queen. Without realizing this is set in a make-believe land, it is hard for students to relate. Once they figure it out, they can relate to the characters based on personal experience, not based on similarities between their society and our own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some kids may relate to the characters in terms of their personalities, their fears, their hopes, etc. but no one can relate to the Utopian society portrayed in this novel - I guess it depends what students would hope to gain from reading it that would determine whether it's worthwhile or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...I always wanted to be on Real World.

    But seriously, I do feel as if the high school created in this novel was way too out there. However, many older people view gays as being wild and out of control, even though that is not true. I think if you ignore the school and just see the story as a love story, it would be easier to read.

    ReplyDelete