Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Forever















Wow judy! Never thought you had this sort of thing in you. Well being the only male in this class I am sure to have a completely different view on this book. How did I ever read this book? I am not sure.... I felt like one of those old ladies that love to read the smutty "adult" novels or the women who Tivo every soap opera, every day. I just felt dirty reading page to page.
With that being said, I do not think this novel should be read in any school district. I can picture the boys in high school having to read this book... The jokes that would arise and gestures that would be made. The book is completely from the Kath's standpoint. What young man would want to read a book about a girl and her sexual feelings? I am 6 years removed from highs school and I could only read one chapter at a time. It is uninteresting for a male to read this book. I am certain that high school students will not receive the right message from the book.

Which leads me to another point... What is the books message? What I got out of this book was that if you keep trying you will eventually reach your goal. I mean how many times is this guy going to try and get in this girls pants before he succeeds? My man Michael is a scumbag. Or maybe judy is just portraying him to be in the beginning. How much of the story talks about everyday conversations between the two? I mean each meeting starts with a brief conversation and ends with him getting shut down when he tries to make a move.

As for Kath, you are just a tease! So many times you lead the "scumbag" on, into thinking he has a shot to "score" and then you shut him down.

Anyhow, the reason why I am talking about the two characters in this way is to show what kind of message is being portrayed to the readers. I do not want my students reading about a girl that doesn't stick to her "guns." She is constantly giving into Michael and he keeps putting her into more and more uncomfortable situations. But in his favor, how is he supposed to know what she wanted when she continued to lead him on.

This story doesn't promote strength by an individual in a relationship setting. Neither one of them put their foot down and stated what their intentions were in the relationship. I mean the occasional, "I love you" doesn't count. THEY ARE TEENAGERS!!! I am sorry, any high school relationship I saw ended in "disaster," or so in their eyes. The only high school relationships that worked out were the ones that weren't as serious at that time.

I am sorry but this book is not good for a younger crowd. It is teaching the wrong message for kids that age. You have the slutty girl that sleeps around with everyone and eventually gets pregnant, the other girl that has sex with a homosexual to make sure that he is really gay, and then there is the protagonist in the story who cannot make up her mind and, in my opinion, relies on her friends advice to make up her mind.

If this book were to teach anything in a classroom setting it would be how NOT to live your life. It could teach the negative influence of peer pressure and how it is not cool to fit in (Sybil getting pregnant).

In closing, don't teach this book!!!! Boys won't read it and girls will get the wrong message. I am not sure I can pick up: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, or, Fudge-a-Mania ever again!!

And to keep my text to self TV show comparison: While reading this book, I pictured Kath and the other characters as the cast of the OC/The Hills/Laguna Beach. I mean how many of the kids we teach are as well off as the characters in the book? Not many! That will be another difficulty in the attempt to have students relate to the story. I wish I could have gone up to Vermont to go skiing for the weekend at some awesome resort, but I can't and, most likely, neither will my students.














3 comments:

  1. It was nice hearing how this book was to read for a male. I never thought that guys would find it boring, because, well, I'm not a male. But I can def see why. However, what you said about Kath giving into Michael, well thats why most girls do end up having sex. Many feel like they have to please the man, and if they don't then they are considered a tease. Kath seemed like one because she wanted to do it for Mike, but when it came time to, she realized she was not ready. Was she truly ready when she actually did it? No, I don't think so. But the fact that she took necessary precautions helps show girls that it is okay to mention to guys that they need protection. Nowadays middle schoolers are getting into oral sex and intercourse, because of shows like Laguna beach and the Hills, or celebs like Britney Spears. I wish they did have better role models to show them to "stick to their guns"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Paige's comment! A lot of girls in high school start having sex because they think a guy will stick around forever, or that they will be with him forever (since here, Kath is the one who changes her mind). The one good thing is that Kath doesn't develop the "it can't happen to me" philosophy, and she goes and gets protection. She also doesn't jump into bed with any guy, like Sybil. She puts a lot of thought into it, and I think it's important to teach that to girls.
    Do I think guys would get into this? No. Do I think high school girls would dig the Chocolate War? Not really. Would I teach either of these? Who knows!
    Again, I don't think it can come down to using it to teach what's right and what's wrong... but I think it can teach about motivation and peer pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a girl, I never really gave a thought to my male students having to read this novel, and I agree with you completely. What high school boy would want to read this novel?
    At first I had thought that this novel wouldn't be bad to teach, but after reading several peoples comments on why not to, I think I may be leaning that way now.
    It does seem to be slightly outdated, and had no connection with men. I think that we could find a better novel that depicts the same information, only a little more equal when it comes to males and females.

    ReplyDelete