Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Chocolate War

Working with this book has been a lot of fun. I will admit that I was late getting the book and I am only half way through it. I could relate to a lot of its writings, with the whole rebel kind of attitude. When I was growing up, even now, I tend to speak up and take charge for what I believe. As a teenager, we are still finding out what we are made of. This story should relate with a lot of readers in the middle school/high school setting.


I related parts of this story to a cartoon that used to air on Saturday mornings: "Recess." When it comes to the Vigils, they reminded me of a group of students that ruled the playground in the cartoon. They would have different servants to take care of different tasks (assignments) during recess. I used these visuals throughout my reading of this story. ----->Below are some pictures of the characters in the show. The second picture is the title of the movie that they made, it fits the "Disturbing the Universe" piece. Saving the World One Playground at a Time, suggests the overtaking of power from the teachers and putting it in the hand of the students. The students in The Vigils are trying to do the same thing.








As far as the assignments throughout this story, they remind me of another cartoon character, Bart Simpson. I appologize for using cartoon characters to convey my thoughts, but I couldn't help but think about these fictitious people while reading this story. In the cartoon The Simpsons, Bart is constantly getting into trouble by doing things to his principal, Seymour Skinner. I related The Vigils actions towards Brother Leon to how Bart treats Skinner.----> Below are pictures of Bart Simpson and Principal Skinner.




Once again I appologize for having to relate this book to cartoons but that is what immediately popped into my head. I plan on reading the remainder of this book in the next day or two and plan on adding to this blog when I am finished.
P.S. I hope this is what I was supposed to do
Websites used for this blog:
paceni.files.wordpress.com
grinningplanet.com
impawards.com
ca.geocities.com

5 comments:

  1. Josh - I dig the cartoons! They help bring your writing alive. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comparison to Bart Simpson. I imagine the show has lasted so long and has so many adolescent viewers (some now who weren't alive when it was first on the air!) because of the way they can relate to Bart Simpson's shenanigans. Either they want to be more like him or are shocked by him, but either way, they can relate to the way he "disturbs the universe," particularly Mr. Skinner's universe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how to compared the book to cartoons. I hadn't thought about the similarities between the two. The pictures really helped add to your explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the connection to "Recess." That was a show I often watched as a child as well, but never made the connection that the children were standing up against an institution. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that comparing the novel to cartoons is a good idea. Using cartoons in high school will help the students not only pay attention but also comprehend the story much easier and faster.

    ReplyDelete