Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Persepolis

Once again we are following around a young kid, girl, as we read about life through her eyes. It becomes more meaningful to know that this is an actual experience from this author's eyes. It is neat to see how this character grows up before the readers eyes. I feel that the reader becomes more empathetic and drawn into a story when reading from a child's perspective.

Anyway, the story starts by followng the a little girl, Satrapi, during the Islamic Revolution of the late 1970's early 1980's. During this period, she struggles with her beliefs, whether believe what she is taught in school, or believe her parents. Early in the book, she compares the revolution to a bicycle, if the protests stop moving the revolution will stop. She begins to read up on numerous revolutionaries to fit in. In the middle part of the book she meets her uncle who was just recently released from prison. After he shows up, all hell breaks loose. Cities are being bombed and people close to the family are showing up dead. On top of that, her mother is attacked by two men, who threaten rape upon her if she continues to not wear her veil.

Overall, this story would not do justice if it weren't for the pictures that accompanied the words. I feel that through most of the book words are not needed. Which brings me to the article that writes about picture walks through graphic novels. Yes, these two authors talk about a wordless novel, however, that doesn't mean a picture walk can't take place in Persepolis. I feel that this novel would be a fun one to picture walk. The pictures are very descriptive and involved. There were times when I found myself looking at the pictures to get the idea of what was being written.

All in all, this was a fun text and one that can definitely be used in the classroom. I remember reading boring autobiographies in middle and high school and would have loved to have a different autobiography text to supplement my studies. I would like to watch the movie. She kept me drawn in throughout the text and made me very interested in her story.

6 comments:

  1. I agree...autobiographies are boring. I remember reading Ghandi's, great man, but no. I think bringing graphic novels into the classroom helps because of how well it keeps people's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to argue in favor of memoirs and autobiographies/biographies because they are exposure to that genre. However, I'm in favor of exposure to ALL genres - graphic novels included. I think there is always one genre or another that fits best with the skills and content you teach, so I try to expose my students to as many different genres as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Overall, this story would not do justice if it weren't for the pictures that accompanied the words."

    I've had students in other classes debate this idea. One class was adamant that the images "dumbed down" the story for readers. I was astonished by this point of view...obviously I think the pictures create an amazing "story" on their own. Other students argued that the graphics were kitschy--a ploy used by the author to sell books. I don't think these students had squirmy adolescents in mind when they levied these arguments! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read part of an article that talked about how we assume that men dominate the field of graphic novels. I found it refreshing to have a story from the eyes of a little girl--who is the author. Satrapi is not who I would expect to use this kind of format. Do you think she is effective Josh? I mean, I realize another female character may be harder for you to relate to, but do you think that your male students would be able to relate at all? Do you think the format will make it easier or harder for male students to relate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the pictures were a big factor to this novel. In my case, they helped to create a better image in my head of what was going on.
    I liked that this was an actual story about her life. I am always interested in stories like that.
    Just like Book Thief, this novel showed the readers what the situations were like from a different perspective. It seems that (especially now), people see middle easterns as terrorists or just bad people. This book shows what the citizens have to go through living in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla: "I agree that the pictures were a big factor to this novel. In my case, they helped to create a better image in my head of what was going on."

    I find this thought interesting.... I have (had) a difficult time getting interested in reading graphic novels simply because I so enjoy creating my OWN images of the characters as I read novels. Not that I shy away from graphic novels.... but I do tend to read the words, ignoring the pictures, as I read through the text. Then, after my initial read, I go back and look through the pictures. I wonder why this is....

    ReplyDelete